So it’s safe to say that I’ve had a few worries recently. I found a new job and quit my current one (scary!) and I’m making a lot of life decisions just now that are making me second guess myself #stresscentral!
I’m sure that I’m not the only one that has times like these, when things get me down and I feel generally rubbish! I used to be the kind of person that whenever I got stressed, I couldn’t eat or sleep, now I’m the complete opposite! I pig out on all the bad stuff and can’t get through the day without a nap – probably all that junk food making me so tired! So the past few weeks have been one of those times, it’s not the first and it definitely won’t be the last, I am human after all and coming to that realisation lead to another… I need to give myself a break!
We can sometimes be our toughest critics and that’s just not going to cut it in order to think positively, is it?
Whatever it is that you’re worrying about, whether it be health, a partner, friends, family or even if you’re just going through a spell of feeling pretty crappy, just remember that it’s normal and we all get those times.
It always takes me a while to get out of my ruts and I’m not there yet, but here are the 6 things I do whenever I need a pick me up…
1. Stop second guessing yourself – Whatever decision you made or are about to make, what is the worst that can happen? Think of the worst case scenario and find a coping mechanism, you’ll often find that the end result is never as bad as that. Made a bad decision that’s backfiring? Take positive steps to deal with it and leave it behind you! You’re worth so much more than letting one thing define you! If you still feel it eating away at you, talk to someone you trust. If you don’t have anyone that you trust in your network, go online. There are forums and support groups for everything! Literally everything! And I guarantee you are not the only person in the word with your problem so share it!
2. Drink water – The simplest of simple but I promise, it really does make me feel better and helps me think clearer. It’s also good for your body which is an added bonus!
3. Take some you time – Sometimes, you just have to cut yourself a big ole slice of selfish pie and do you for a little bit. I’m not saying ignore everyone else forever, I’m just saying take some time to do something you enjoy. Read a book, go for a walk outside, go to your local coffee shop. Life is for living and why not enjoy it, we only get one (or so I’m told). Leave your worries behind for an hour or two, it won’t be terrible, I promise!
4. Pamper yourself – Today I went and got my hair done and bought a new face mask which has really helped pick me up! I still feel like a complete slob with my weight gain and break outs, always my first symptom of stress, but I feel a million times better with a new do! So what’s the big deal that I’ve gained a few pounds and my skin is acting up, it’s hardly the end of the world. I have enough things to worry about other than a temporary set back!
5. Deal with it – If you are worrying about something serious, it’s all fine and well taking your mind off of it for a bit but you are eventually going to deal with it. If you can’t do something about it then you have to let it go, which is often the hardest thing to do. There will always be another tomorrow and another fresh start. If you can deal with it, break those giant steps into little chunks and take it 5 minutes at a time. We can get through the next 5 minutes, right?
6. Ask for help – It’s impossible for us to do absolutely everything on our own and actually, it’s 100% okay to ask for help sometimes. I’m all for being an independent woman, the car I’m drivin’? I bought it! *Destiny’s Child appreciation moment* but sometimes, our baggage is too heavy to lift and we need a hand. Everyone has times like this and it’s okay for you to have them too.
I hope this helped in some way or another.